Shake Rag Alley Center for the Arts invites applications for our full-time Program Manager. To apply for this position, please complete our online employment application here. Applications received by May 28 will receive priority consideration.
A nonproﬁt school of arts and crafts founded in 2004 by local artists and community members, Shake Rag Alley’s 2.5-acre campus in the historic heart of Mineral Point, Wisconsin, is a national destination for participants of adult workshops, a robust summer youth program, and a host of annual special community events. In addition, Shake Rag Alley offers on-site lodging and custom facility rentals for meetings, events, and celebrations.
Position Title: Program Manager
Status: Full-time hourly, non-exempt
Schedule: 40 hours/week; some nights/weekends
Reporting to the Executive Director and working collaboratively with our staff and Curriculum Committee, the Program Manager develops and helps to promote a robust calendar of on-campus and virtual arts and crafts workshops, retreats, and community events that support Shake Rag Alley’s mission. Serves as the primary point of contact for instructors and students, and works to ensure that all participants of our programs enjoy a superior experience throughout their creative journey at Shake Rag Alley Center for the Arts. Provides excellent and timely customer service to colleagues, Board members, volunteers, donors, students, instructors, vendors, and the public.
- Together with the Curriculum Committee, identiﬁes opportunities, plans, and implements year-round arts programming. Works collaboratively to achieve a balanced and sustainable schedule of on-campus and virtual adult workshops taught by locally and nationally sourced educators well suited to serve the Shake Rag Alley community.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for instructors throughout the year to include ﬁelding questions about class sizes, registration deadlines, classroom setup needs, and transportation and lodging when appropriate.
- Collaborates with the Bookkeeper & Registrar on timely instructor payment requests. Solicits instructor evaluations upon the conclusion of workshops.
- Directs facilities and hospitality staff as needed in preparing workshop and event spaces on and off the Shake Rag Alley campus.
- Welcomes arriving instructors and students and provides instructors with orientations to their classrooms (or delegates as needed). Together with staff and volunteers, ensures instructors and students are supported for the duration of their workshop.
- Acknowledges and reviews instructor proposals and manages curriculum development calendar to meet website and print deadlines.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for creative custom retreats. Organizes instruction, space use, pricing, materials needs, etc.
- Recruits and schedules volunteers to lead monthly Women’s Art Parties March-November.
Marketing & Outreach
- Manages the distribution of our workshop catalog and additional marketing materials to further community interest in Shake Rag Alley offerings.
- Monitors enrollments and partners with the Executive Director and Webmaster to plan and implement marketing initiatives to secure maximum enrollments in all workshops.
- Issues calls for volunteers to support programs and events.
- Represents Shake Rag Alley in the community and at events and on
boards/committees as assigned.
May participate in oﬃce operations to include:
- booking and processing lodging reservations, collecting payments, processing refunds, managing housekeeping and ensuring overall guest satisfaction;
- answering the phone, ordering supplies, greeting visitors, handling petty cash, making purchases within budget, and ﬁelding staff and volunteer questions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in an arts management or related ﬁeld from an accredited educational institution and a record of programming, project management, and marketing experience at a nonproﬁt arts or cultural organization.
- Computer and Internet proﬁciency to include Google Drive and Gmail and
cloud-based registration, reservation, and database systems.
- Graphic design, photography, and social media (Facebook, Instagram) experience.
- Excellent attention to detail and solid writing, editing, and research skills including ability to produce professional documents with minimal errors.
- Excellent customer service skills and a welcoming demeanor with all customers, staff and friends of Shake Rag Alley.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, ﬂexibility, and patience.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Physical Demands: While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and consistently talk or hear; and rarely taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Speciﬁc vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Shake Rag Alley Center for the Arts is an equal opportunity/aﬃrmative action employer. All qualiﬁed applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran or uniformed service member status or any other characteristic protected by law.