Alley Stage Reading Series
call for submissions & guidelines
You have a play. We have a stage.
In 2022, building on the success of last year’s A Picnic & A Play series of staged readings, Shake Rag Alley Center for the Arts is bringing together playwrights and their works in development with a cast and an audience. In June through October, four readings will take place on Alley Stage, an intimate outdoor setting that is part of our campus in the historic heart of Mineral Point. The goal is to create a theater experience that involves actors and audiences from across the street and the region.
Readings will take place June 25, August 20, September 10, and October 1.
Playwrights will be offered a one-night stay at Shake Rag Alley the weekend of the reading plus a stipend. Accepted playwrights are responsible for their travel to Mineral Point.
Instructions to Submit:
Applications for the 2022 Alley Stage Readings are open to current residents of Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and Minnesota. For priority consideration, submissions are due Feb. 28. Please send only one original play (no musicals) that has not received a previous production. The play should be for no more than four actors and 120 pages maximum.
- Complete the online application here telling us about yourself, your play, and your preferred reading date(s).
- Email a PDF of the script in standard stage play format to email@example.com.
- In the subject line, please note: 2022 Alley Stage Readings Submission. Hard copies of scripts will not be accepted.
- Please label the PDF using your first and last name as well as the title, e.g., marysmithplaytitle.pdf.
- Upon receipt of your complete application and PDF, we will invoice you for a $15 submission fee, which will help support stipends for actors along with the generosity of donors and grants for the series. The submission fee will be waived for currently enrolled students.
What to expect if your play is accepted:
- Plays will be selected and playwrights notified in April.
- One month before the reading date, playwrights will submit the working script.
- Within two weeks of the reading, a rehearsal will occur via Zoom or in person at a location in agreement with the author and cast.
- At 3 p.m. the day of the reading, the public will be invited to enjoy Afternoon Tea and live music on the patio outside Shake Rag Alley’s Art Cafe.
- Readings will start at 4 p.m. with talkbacks following the readings.
- In the event of rain, readings will be staged in Shake Rag Alley’s Lind Pavilion.
Alley Stage Reading Series: Save the Date to Join Us!
June 25 — August 20 — September 10 — October 1
Enjoy Saturday afternoons at Shake Rag Alley for our second staged-reading series. Four playwrights will present original plays in progress on our intimate outdoor theater, Alley Stage. Besides being fun to watch, a staged reading is an important way a playwright can get important feedback from an audience (you!) and determine what their next steps are with the script.
What to expect:
- Start with Afternoon Tea, which will be available in the Shake Rag Alley Art Cafe at 3 pm. Local musicians will provide entertainment on the patio. Patio tables and chairs are available, or bring a blanket to spread out and enjoy the day on the Green.
- 4 pm: The actors and moderator will take the stage with their scripts.
- Talkback: Stay after the play and share your feedback with the playwright.
- Rain or Shine: In the event of inclement weather, we will move to the Lind Pavilion at 411 Commerce St.
Interested in joining the cast of a staged reading? Add your name to our community actor casting call here.
Interested in offering musical entertainment? Add your name to our community musician roster here.
2021 Season Performances
Our inaugural season of staged readings, A Picnic & A Play, was made possible in part by a grant from the Mineral Point Community Foundation. Many thanks to the playwrights, cast members, musicians, volunteers, and Mineral Point restaurants who participated in 2021!