10 aM-4 PM Saturday, September 23, 2023
Join area artists & artisans for Fiber Faire 2023! Held in conjunction with the 29th annual Cornish Festival & Celtic Celebration, we’ll have weavers, knitters, dyers, fiber artists, lace makers, fashionistas & farmers to demonstrate and explore all the wonderful ways we create and clothe ourselves.
- Fiber Arts Demos: From weaving to dyeing to tatting, you’ll learn about the artists who make by hand, and may be inspired to take up a new craft yourself.
- Shop: Enjoy our pop-up market of artisan goods and handmade items just in time for fall. You can also buy materials for your own projects and talk to knowledgeable craftspeople.
- Fashion Show & Contest: At 3 pm, share your creations in three categories: Most Cornish, Most Classic, and Most Quirktacular. Model your wearable art in our fashion show, and be eligible for selection for cash prizes to further your creativity. A three-judge panel of local celebrities and artists will make a selection for a cash prize in each category. See entry details below.
- Just-For-Fun Community Knitting Project: We’ll be creating a folly scarf — using donated yarn, and knit with broomsticks or broomstick needles. Add your rows and let’s see how long we can make it stretch!
General admission is free. This is a rain or shine event.
For more information, call (608) 987-3292, email email@example.com, or stop by the Shake Rag Alley office, 18 Shake Rag St.
To become an event or contest sponsor, click here.
CALL FOR POP-UP MARKET Vendors
Unique crafters, makers, artists, and artisans are invited to show their wares and creations at the Fiber Faire Pop-up Market.
Vendor Table Information:
$35 includes a 6-foot table and 2 chairs that will be set up under tents on the Green
- Vendor load-in is 9 am/Tear down at 2 pm
- Electricity is limited; please let us know if you have specific electrical needs.
- Tablecloths are not included; vendors should bring their own table coverings.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (608) 987-3292.
Pop-Up Mending Workshop
Learn creative and unique ways to repair your clothes and extend their lives with Maday of Sustainable Textile Design. Visible darns? Hand stitched topstitching? Patching with vintage textiles? Bring your loved pieces for hands-on instruction and mend away with Maday from 10-2. No registration required; free & open to the public.
Fashion show & Contest
Share your creations in three categories: Most Cornish, Most Classic, and Most Quirktacular. Model your wearable art in our fashion show, and be eligible for selection for cash prizes to further your creativity.
Enter your wearable art the day of Fiber Faire, on site.
Check out Entry Details here.
Judges Sarah Strange, Dee Hooks, and Leslie Damaso will select noteworthy creations for a cash prize.
(Maybe) helpful hints:
For Most Cornish: think about traditional Cornish patterns, like ganseys or knit frocks.
For Most Classic: think about lacework patterns, classic cables, fair isle, and vintage styling.
For Most Quirktacular: think about mixing styles, upcycling & recycling, and boldly going where no one else has gone.
Demonstrations & Market
We’ll have demonstrations from 10am-4pm featuring:
- Weaving with Carole Spelic”
- Spinning with Joelle White
- Rug Hooking with Cindy Fleming
- Sashiko with Zann Liljegren
- a Monuments, Myths, and Monsters popup by Bryce Woyak
- drop-in Knitting Circle
- Community Knitting project
Our beautiful campus and historic buildings will be abuzz with creativity and all things fiber-tastic. Can’t wait to see you!
And be sure to visit our downtown, where the 29th Annual Cornish Fest & Celtic Celebration will be going on! There’ll be demos and fiber goods at:
The Station. 210 Commerce St.
Prairie Oak Artisans: 207 Commerce St.
Against the Grain: 31 High St.
Artful Apparel: 232 High St.
Globe Clay Center: 225 Commerce St.