Oil pastels have a soft and buttery feel and are fun and rewarding to work with. They are made from pure pigment, non-drying oils and waxes. The color effects and textures that can be achieved with this medium are stunningly beautiful and captivating. Students will learn to:
1. Prepare the substrate and under painting.
2. Blend pastels to create 3-dimensional effects.
3. Work with Holbein and Sennelier oil pastel to develop layering techniques.
4. Use tools to scrape away or subtract oil pastel to reveal previous layers for color and textural interest.
5. Add oil pastel with various tools to build up the paintings surface and color quality.
6. Understand the use of line and mark making for visual interest.
7. Consideration of color theory concepts as it relates to layering with oil pastels.
8. Understand composition, negative and positive space, shapes, and the placement of objects.
9. Learn the dialog of self-critique. We will also learn how to collect ideas in our sketchbooks for paintings and how to unleash our imaginations. This will include quick graphite pencil sketching techniques, and how to transfer the ideas from a sketchbook to a painting.
Must have had some art experience, either at school or as a hobby.
Materials fee includes Holbein oil pastels, Sennelier Oil Pastels, Liquin medium, latex free gloves, substrate boards. Part of the materials fee will include a selection of oil pastels to take home.
Materials fee is payable to Jane in class (cash or check preferred). Or, if you already have pastels and would like to bring your own, please contact Jane at Jane@JaneWilcoxsonStudios.com for a list of specific pastel colors and other supplies to bring (in addition to items listed on the student-to-bring Supply List).
Level Beginner and above
Class Size 16
Instructor Jane Wilcoxson
Student Supply List
See Supply List
- Tuition $260
- Materials Fee $70 (payable to instructor at class time)
Registration Policies & Waiting Lists
You will receive a registration confirmation via email. If you do not have an email address, you will receive a snail-mail confirmation.
Please read your class confirmation carefully as it may include a supply list and other important details.
Many classes have materials fees in addition to the tuition. These are identified in the class listing and are usually paid with the tuition payment, however in some cases materials fees are paid directly to the instructor at class time (check the class listing).
While we recognize that life intrudes and plans change, in consideration of the time and energy instructors invest in preparing for classes, we must adhere to the following cancellation policies:
> Cancellations made 31 days before the published registration deadline date for any given workshop are eligible for a full refund less 25% of the workshop fee OR a gift certificate in the full amount of the workshop fee. The gift certificate can be applied to workshops or lodging through Dec. 31 of the following year and is transferable.
> Cancellations made 30 days or less than the published registration deadline date for any given workshop are not eligible for refunds. We encourage all students to purchase trip insurance.
> Cancellation requests must be made by calling our office at (608) 987-3292.
> If you have booked lodging with Shake Rag Alley in conjunction with your class, please refer to our lodging page for the lodging cancellation policy.
Cancellations by Shake Rag Alley
> If Shake Rag Alley must cancel a class you will be notified immediately via email or phone and will receive a full refund.
> If a class does not meet a minimum number of students, it may be cancelled. A decision to cancel a class due to under enrollment will be made on the day following the published registration deadline.
> If you have booked lodging with Shake Rag Alley in conjunction with a class cancelled by Shake Rag Alley, you may receive a full refund on lodging should you wish to cancel the lodging. Please call the office at (608) 987-3292.
If a workshop you are interested in is sold out, please fill out this waiting list form. We will contact you if a spot becomes available. The class code requested on the form is the Workshop ID shown at left, beneath the Add to Cart button.